The Dirty Lies – Release EP out now on Bandcamp (https://electricco.bandcamp.com/album/release) or on limited edition cassette
1. Where and when did you first discover your interest in music?
Aged about 8 years old. I found my mum’s old guitar (it was missing
a string) at my grandparents’ house, and haven’t stopped playing since.
The rest of the boys come from pretty formal musical backgrounds.
2. What are your main ambitions in the industry?
Going full-time. If you can make a living as a musician, then you’ve sort of won at life, haven’t you? Obviously we’d like to make the best music we can in the process, and we wouldn’t mind being rich and famous.
3. When did you start writing your own songs/music?
Aged 16. They were really terrible songs. I played through one of them again recently, and god help me, it was bad. The influences on us as a band are quite varied. Zander (our other guitarist) is a fiend for experimental dance music. The main influences on my songwriting are Lou Reed and film noir, but that only really shows in the lyrical content, I think.
4. What would you say is your music career highlight to date?
It’s a tie between a few studio experiences. I love gigging, but there’s nothing quite as satisfying as a successful recording.
5. Who will we hear in your songs? What are your influences?
The Velvet Underground, Radiohead, Television, The Strokes. I’m also very influenced by cinema. I don’t read much at all, so film is my main source of narrative inspiration.
6. What’s the most important thing you’d want to tell people about your current release?
There’s bold narrative theme tying the songs together (at least I think there is). We’ve tried to create an continuous and cohesive experience, rather than just record a bunch of separate songs. Hopefully it shows.
7. Who else can you recommend from your genre or local area for people to have a listen to?
Engine (Leeds), Kalyan Collective (Leeds), Sun Machine (London), Future Glue (Glasgow). Also, Ola Szmidt is incredible. What a voice.
8. Any gigs coming up?
One at the O2 in Islington on June 24th, then one on August 1st at The Library in Leeds.
9. Where can we find/follow you online?